Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘progress’

We’re making some headway. To be honest, Nick and I were a little frustrated with the pace of the work. Ben (our contractor) agreed that perhaps things weren’t moving along as quickly as possible, and is making some personnel changes that might help step up the pace.

We’re hoping to see some major changes  by the end of this coming week. One thing we know for sure is that the subfloors will finally be laid down in the kitchen and dining room, which will make those rooms look a lot more finished. The carpenters might also be starting on the new stairway this week (fingers crossed).

But until then, here is how the house looks now, as of the end of the last week in August, before the Labor Day weekend.

The kitchen and part of the dining room:

Dining room and kitchen, Sept. 2

Dining room and kitchen, Sept. 2

The new ceiling in the kitchen is the new floor outside of Sadie’s room, which replaced the rotten floor in the old bathroom and will also be part of the new closet that will house our washer and dryer.

New floor over the kitchen

New floor over the kitchen

This is the office, as seen from the kitchen.

Office/library

Office/library

View of the living room from the kitchen.

Living room

Living room

Upstairs now. Not much has changed in the old third bedroom, but if you look up you can see that the attic floorboards have been removed.

Third bedroom, soon to be master bath

Third bedroom, soon to be master bath

What’s left of the attic. This part of the attic will be a loft/storage space.

Attic, space above future bathroom

Attic, space above future bathroom

The most exciting progress shot so far: the new floor built above the kitchen.

Sadie's room, Sept. 2

Sadie's room, Sept. 2

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

We’re finally starting to see some progress on the house. The carpenters have started framing out new walls and taking down old ones. Walking into the house and smelling new wood, rather than cat pee, was a treat.. Here are some photos as of the end of last week.

We now have an official Pollard Builders sign outside the soon-to-be dining room.

Ben's company sign

Ben's company sign

Some serious power tools are taking up residence in the office.

P1050581

That framing you see is the temporary wall that held up our house while the carpenters installed the laminated veneer lumber (LVL) beam. Because we took down a load-bearing wall between the kitchen and dining room, we needed the LVL to keep the whole house from collapsing. If you recall, this wall used to be an exterior wall, complete with two exterior windows that we removed and saved.

View of old porch/new dining room

View of old porch/new dining room

Here’s a close-up of the LVL.

LVL close-up

LVL close-up

Looking up while standing in the kitchen, you can see the flooring for Sadie’s room, and the plank that is currently the only way to get to her room.

Sadie's room, above kitchen

Sadie's room, above kitchen

P1050587

Moving through the house, the living room looks pretty much the same as it did three weeks ago.

Living room (as seen from "office")

Living room (as seen from "office")

We’re upstairs now. Our future bathroom is at present nothing more than a repository for old lumber.

Future bathroom, former 3rd bedroom

Future bathroom, former 3rd bedroom

The attic space above the future bathroom. Those old attic floorboards will be taken down and used for Sadie’s floor.

Attic

Attic

The old beadboard floor is now gone from Sadie’s room.

Sadie's room (view from future bathroom site)

Sadie's room (view from future bathroom site)

That’s the kitchen you can see there down below.

Sadie's bedroom

Sadie's bedroom

And finally, back downstairs, a close-up of the oriented strand board we’re using as a sort of “shelf” for the new insulation we’ll be adding to the floors in the kitchen and dining room. So P1050599

So that’s where we’re at as of last Friday. Tomorrow we’ll post more progress photos. Stay tuned!

Read Full Post »

It is day 60 and things have finally begun to move forward after two months of backward motion. The builders have started their work, evident from the outside by the porta-potty on the sidewalk and the missing front stairs. On the inside of the house there is more fresh demo: the upstairs section that was the old bathroom floor has been cut out, effectively separating the upstairs into two halves, now joined only by a 6″ wide walking plank for the contractor and his crew. But there is a New Pipe!! A brand new shiny PVC drain pipe in the kitchen and future half-bath! It has gleaming purple glue joints and it serves as a beacon of hope that soon the entire house will be filled with new pieces of stuff, their whole so much larger than the sum of their parts.

58steps

Read Full Post »